Monday 30 July 2012

Why the Mantilla?? Why not the Mantilla?

Recently, I have begun to wear the mantilla to Church. I ordered some online, and I received them last week.

At the moment, I am simply 'experimenting' with them. I have not gone gung ho in regards to women wearing the mantilla, nor do I believe that all women should do so. Nor am I adhering to what is traditional simply because it is traditional. 

In fact, tradition has hardly anything to do with my decision for trying out the mantilla. 

I read recently that the mantilla can assist the woman while she prays. I thought about that, so I decided to give it a try. 

For me, wearing the mantilla in Church serves as a physical reminder to myself that I am no longer out in the world, but I am now in God's house, and in His presence in the Blessed Sacrament. This physical reminder helps me to focus on the liturgy. Also, it may serve as a reminder to others that I am in the house of God to pray. Why is this important? Well, going to Church no longer seems important or special to a lot of people. I suppose that is why many come to Church wearing flip flops or short-shorts. Going to Church becomes a casual event, rather than a venue for people to come into the presence of God and to be nourished my Him through the word and through His Body and Blood. For me, wearing the mantilla reminds me that Church is set apart from the world. 

I am starting to believe that wearing the mantilla in the presence of God in Church is a sign of my submission to Him (or, at least, my desire to submit to Him). 

Some may view the mantilla as a sign of women's oppression. I consider it a sign of humility before God. NOW, I am not saying that people must start wearing the mantilla, or else that obviously means that they do not consider Mass sacred. Different strokes for different folks! 

But before I can testify that the mantilla indeed assists me in prayer, I have to overcome a few psychological hurdles. My biggest fear is that of judgment. I worry that I am drawing unnecessary attention to myself, and that when people see me wearing the mantilla, they will think, "she's nuts. She's just doing that for attention. She's stuck in the dark ages. She thinks she is holier than everyone else."

Even though wearing the mantilla so far has assisted me in focusing on Mass, I am also focusing on what other people may be thinking about me. The first time I wore the mantilla to Church, I was super nervous and I was shaking like a leaf!! 

One could argue that wearing the mantilla is an act of charity, as it hides my hair and sort of hides my face, and thus people will not be distracted by me. On the other hand, the fact that so few women wear mantillas these days could make the action of wearing the mantilla even MORE distracting to others. Who knows? 

It is all so preliminary. I will continue to wear them at Church, and we'll see how it goes. I think they are very pretty, as a matter of fact. So do my girl friends. 

I suppose the mantilla is like most other inanimate objects. A hammer could be used to crush someone's skull and kill them, or the hammer could be used for building a beautiful home that shelters an entire family. A gun can be used to massacre innocents. It can also be used to kill deer and to feed a family. Whether or not the mantilla is useful or destructive really relies on the capacities of the human person; how we are able to interpret things as either evil, or good. (sometimes, something seems evil, but God uses it for good). I guess an inanimate object can never really be good or evil, but rather, it can be used as a vessel for human beings to carry out actions that are good or evil.

In the end, it all boils down to my relationship with God. At the same time, having a relationship with God automatically means being compassionate to others within the community. I don't want to cause scandal, and I don't want people to be distracted from God when they are trying to pray. But I guess if the mantilla is actually assisting me in prayer and bearing good fruit, then people need to take responsibility for their own weaknesses. If they are distracted by a mantilla, they ought to look within themselves, rather than pointing the finger at someone else. 

Ultimately, I do not think mantillas, or any other head coverings, are necessary for a woman to grow in holiness. But if they can help in some situations, then why not?? 

Can you think of any reason why women should never wear one? 


6 comments:

  1. My wife (who is also 25) started wearing one several months ago. She quickly grew to love it. She understands the veil as iconic: It is a visible sign of obedience to the "head," her husband (me!), who is in turn an icon of Christ. (I realize that would sound awful to a secular woman -- but as a Christian woman you of course realize that to be the "head" means to be Christlike -- offering everything in sacrificial love and service.) It is also symbolic of purity, on account of its veiling function. I say keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. Can I add it up to my post on Mantilla Veils where a bunch of other women share why they veil? ITs here if you're interested
    http://anabellehazard.blogspot.com/2012/07/mantilla-veil.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anabelle... yes, you may add it to your post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just about to order my first mantilla (a Christmas present from husband & son!) and it's struck me that I'm taking a step into controversy, which is ridiculous! Now that it's several months on from your post, how are you finding it? Do you get weird looks or do people ignore it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is a confession: This catholic wench is a wimp. I wore the mantilla for several weeks until my boss expressed a dislike for them (although he is a very traditional priest). Because of this, I stopped. There is an association in my parish, and that is: if a woman wears a mantilla, she is a crazy church lady. Now, a few women approached me and supported me regarding my mantilla. But having my boss dislike them lowered my morale. I have been speaking with some of my girl friends today and they are encouraging me to wear it again, so tomorrow at Mass, I will. When I did wear the mantilla, I didn't noticed any weird looks... people either ignored it, or they didn't read much into it. But I can't stress this enough: One's choice to wear the mantilla should come from discernment in regards to one's relationship with God, regardless of how people think. My advice: try it. It actually did help me to pray, but I let my insecurities sabotage the experience.

    ReplyDelete